Newcastle United End Chelsea’s Unbeaten Streak

Newcastle United ended Chelsea’s 23-game unbeaten streak with a 2-1 English Premier League victory at St James’ Park on Saturday.  Newcastle held the Blues at arm’s length in the opening exchanges but it was Willian who managed to get a shot in although it was wide of Rob Elliot’s goal.  The Brazilian came close again on 19 minutes but his attempt was again wide.

Elliot was called into action to stop a low shot by Diego Costa on 25 minutes.  Despite dominance by Jose Mourinho’s side it was Ayoze Perez who cleverly split the visiting defence with a ball for Jack Colback to run on to, but the midfielder’s attempt was straight at Thibaut Courtois.  Although Mourinho’s men had the better of the play, the hosts would not be altogether unhappy with their own showing as the sides went to the break deadlocked at 0-0.

The Magpies had to make a goalkeeping substitution as Jak Alnwick came on for Elliot after the keeper limped off at the break.  On 53 minutes Alan Pardew made his second change replacing Remy Cabella with Papiss Cisse.  It would prove inspiring as the Senegalese found the back of the net with virtually his first touch after Sammy Ameobi crossed low from the left, Gary Cahill fluffed his clearance, and up popped Cisse to tap in.

Some eighteen minutes later it was 2-0 with Cisse again the man to do the damage.  Less than a minute after Eden Hazard hit the post, the Toon broke forward and Moussa Sissoko squeezed a pass through to the unmarked Cisse, who poked into the unguarded net.  However there would be a twist in the tale yet.

After a bad foul on Andre Schuerrle Steven Taylor was shown hi second yellow of the day and sent for an early bath.  The league leaders responded almost immediately with a Didier Drogba strike and it was game on with seven minutes to play.  The Blues pumped everything forward in the final exchanges including an agonising six added minutes for the home side.

Nothing changed as Pardew’s charges secured victory.