Tuks Trash CUT

Tuks came from behind after being 25-21 down at half-time to win 68-25 against CUT at the FNB Stadium in Soweto on Monday evening.  In the third match of the day CUT were up against Tuks at a cool Soccer City on Monday evening.  Tuks have had a disappointing season by their standards and hoped to turn things around against CUT, while the men from Bloem have had an impressive season and after almost causing an upset against Shimlas last week, were hoping for a similar performance.

It only took eight minutes for Duncan Matthews to crash over and put Tuks up 7-0.  Nine minutes later and Tuks winger, Duhan Van Der Merwe doubled his team’s score.  A moment of brilliance brought CUT back into the match, as Henry Immelman ran through everyone, hugged the sideline and popped it over, back inside for Darron Baron to finish off. 

He converted it and the scores were 14-11 after 21 minutes.  Just four minutes later Nicolaas Britz extended Tuks’ lead again with a try, the scores moving to 21-11.  CUT were fighting hard and pulled another one back after Jasper Wiese broke through a few tackles and bundled over the tryline to take the score to 21-18 in favour of Tuks.

On the stroke of half-time, CUT launched a 55-metre penalty kick, which hit the upright and after a break by Tuks, the ball dropped loose and flanker Mosoeu Maruping kicked the ball forwards, gathered the ball and sprinted to the tryline.  His seven-pointed putting his side in the lead for the first time in the match.  The score 25-21 at half-time. 

In the 55th minute, Nicolaas Britz scored his second of the match, stealing the lead back from CUT, as Tuks led 28-25.  Then, straight off the restart things got worse for CUT as Junior Burger stepped a couple of defenders before off loading to Nicolaas Britz, who ran half the length of the field for a nine-point try and his hat-trick.  With 20 minutes to play, Tuks retained possession for a number of phases and when Andre Warner went over just beside the posts, his team led 50-25.

Tuks crashed over six minutes later for another seven-pointer.  Then not long after that, Andre Warner crossed over for a nine-point try as the match ended 68-25 to Tuks.

Photo credit: SASPA