Sundowns See Off Chippa

Mamelodi Sundowns beat Chippa United by 2-0 to advance to the quarter-finals of the Telkom Knockout at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Saturday.  Chances for both teams came few and far between in the first half.  This was highlighted as only one shot on target was managed.

That lone effort came after a centre ball by Keagan Dolly forced Chippa goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi  to make a brilliant  finger tip save but the resulting corner produced nothing.  As the half wore on, Sundowns grew into the match and this was further emphasised as they began to pile on a bit more pressure on the United goal with three corners in the last ten minutes.  However the sides went into the break at 0-0.

If the first half was anything to go by then fans would have thought they were going to be bored to death in the second but this was not to be true.  The second stanza was certainly more of a contest as both teams came out firing, like boxers trading jabs.  Both teams attacked but with no final product.

The deadlock was finally broken in the 61st minute when Katlego Mashego passed the ball smartly to Dolly who buried it with a neat right-footed finish.  Any hope the Chilli Boys had of making a comeback were put to bed when defender Thamsanqa Sangweni put in an unfair
challenge on
Bongani Zungu which resulted in the defender receiving his marching orders for a second bookable offence.  With the onus now on Downs to capitalise on the man advantage they had, the Brazilians piled on the pressure.

The visitors’ best chance fell to Mark Mayambela seven minutes from time, but he could only manage to send his first time shot from a Lerato Chabangu cross wide of goal.  The hosts capitalised on the advantage four minutes from time when a deflected strike from Hlompo Kekana sealed the win for Pitso Mosimane’s men who subsequently booked their place in the quarter-finals alongside SuperSport United, Golden Arrows, Maritzburg United and Free State Stars, who had won their first round fixtures earlier on the weekend.