Stormers Edge Force

The Stormers nervously overcame the Force 13-6 at the nib Stadium in their Super Rugby clash on Saturday, in a game that was separated by a penalty try.  The Capetonians were at times found wanting throughout the match, and had it not been for careless mistakes from the hosts, the game would’ve been out of reach.  In the opening 60 seconds of the game Michael Foley’s men had already been caught offside and conceded a penalty.

Demetri Catrakilis made no mistake from the kick.  Two minutes later Schalk Burger was penalised at a ruck.  Luke Burton lined up the penalty and scored the kick.

In the ninth minute Allister Coetzee’s men were awarded a penalty try after working the home team’s line.  Catrakilis converted what would became his 20th consecutive successful attempt at goal.  The game went back and forth for a while thereafter.

When each team looked posed to reach the try line, the line was successfully defended on both fronts.  The Force were the better of the two teams in the half as the Stormers’ defensive line remained resolute in defending the advantage.  In the 36th minute the visitors slipped and conceded a penalty from their own scrum.

Steven Kitshoff lost his bind during the pushing.  Burton went for it hit his target as the score stood at 10-6 to the South Africans at half-time.  Seven minutes after the break the Aussie franchise won a penalty after Juan De Jongh was penalised for a high tackle.

Burton took the kick from close to the touch line but he would see his kick hit the posts and the oppotunity was lost.  At that moment the Perth franchise was applying all the pressure.  Coetzee’s men would then find themselves with possession and in the red zone, but not long after possession was lost and it was the home team who saw their drive forward being halted in the red zone at the other end of the field.

At this point inspirational man Schalk Burger was getting himself into the game and his influence in the team’s play was evident.  In the 71st minute the visitors had only 39% ball possession but they were leading the game.  Two minutes later Coetzee’s charges were surging forward with a penalty advantage.

After 12 phases they failed to breakthrough the defence which saw the ref award the penalty.  In the process Burton was sent to the sin bin for cynically going offside.  Substitute Kurt Coleman slotted the penalty.

Three minutes from time the home team made 17 phrases of attack.  Their advances won them a penalty and they opted to scrum from the five metre line.  The Stormers were caught offside from the play. Again the hosts chose to scrum and they managed to get the ball out to fullback Dane Haylett-Petty who got himself over the line.

The TMO was called to making a ruling. He found that he could not see anything and that it looked to be held up. That was the ball game and the Stormers won.

Force Match Stats:

Tries – 0
Cons – 0
Pens. L Burton (2)
Yellow Card – L Burton

Stormers Match Stats:

Tries – 0
Penalty Try – 1
Cons – D Catrakilis
Pens – D Catrakilis, Kurt Coleman