Soweto Derby For MTN8 Final

There will be a Soweto Derby in this year’s MTN8 final after Kaizer Chiefs saw off Platinum Stars 3-0 (5-0 on aggregate) in the semi-final second leg at FNB Stadium on Sunday.  Chiefs came into the match with a 2-0 first leg advantage and the question was would Stuart Baxter’s side look to defend their lead or move in for the kill?  Their intentions were made known early on when Mandla Masango launched an effort from outside the box within the opening 20 seconds, however it went wide.

Masango was played into the area by George Lebese in the third minute but could not maintain his balance in the box in what was turning out to be an enterprising opening few minutes with Stars also having a corner and shot at Itumeleng Khune’s goal.  Lebese had a glorious opportunity after good build up play by Amakhosi however the midfielder miscued his strike completely and it did not even bother Kabelo Dambe.  In the 18th minute Reneilwe Letsholonyane should have put the hosts in front.

Letsholonyane played a dazzling one-two with Kgotso Moleko and then showed equally impressive footwork in the box but his shot cannoned off the cross bar.  The first yellow card of the afternoon was shown to Lebese on 22 minutes for dissent.  Dikwena forced Khune into action from the resultant free kick but the game remained goalless.

The opening goal arrived in the 29th minute when George Maluleka curled a free kick over the visiting wall and past Dambe to make it 1-0 on the day and 3-0 on aggregate.  Ndumiso Mabena had a fair shout for goal with eight minutes to play.  The Stars striker’s goal attempt was only parried by Khune and appeared to have crossed the line but the referee waved play on.

At the break an MTN8 Soweto Derby final was imminent with the Glamour Boys leading 1-0.  It took eleven minutes for Stuart Baxter’s boys to open the visiting defence in the second stanza when a square ball from the left by Tsepo Masilela beat a flat Stars backline allowing Letsholonyane to easily tap in to make it 2-0.  Baxter made his first change on 59 minutes when Siphelele Mthembu was replaced by Katlego Mphela.

Morgan Gould was the next substitute coming on for Erick Mathoho some 90 seconds later.  Allan Freese then made a change in the 64th minute replacing Tintswalo Tshabalala with Lucky Nguzana.  In the 68th minute Lebese forced Dambe into a superb save diving to his left from a header.

Freese immediately brought on Vincent Khumalo for Robert Ng’ambi as the sands of time were running out on Dikwena.  The moment Chiefs fans had been waiting for finally arrived on 80 minutes when crowd favourite Siphiwe Tshabalala came on for Maluleka after missing the start of the season through injury.  Maluleka limped off after going down outside the box and Shabba was immediately in the thick of the action but his effort was straight at Dambe.

Mpehla would get his goal right at the death to seal an emphatic 3-0 victory which was a fair reflection of how dominant the hosts were on the day.  However the strike came at a price with Mphela leaving the field with an ankle injury.  The 3-0 score line and the 5-0 aggregate win is sufficient to set up a meeting with the old enemy Orlando Pirates on 20 September.