Manchester Derby Deadlock

Manchester United and Manchester City played out to a goalless draw in their English Premier League encounter at Old Trafford on Sunday.  A very cagey opening 45 of the first Manchester Derby of the season saw neither side able to break the deadlock as both goalkeepers were mere pedestrians.  A few chances for both sides did come close on a few occasions but just lacked something in the final third.

For City it was Sterling in the 12th minute who fired towards goal from the edge of the area but was denied as a deflection resulted in a corner.  It was a decent passage of play when Anthony Martial beat two defenders to find Juan Mata who cut inside but was unable to find Wayne Rooney as the neighbours were able to clear.  Before the close of the half Rooney and Martial teamed up as the skipper slid one in for the youngster however the Frenchman was not able to get on to the ball.

In the second stanza it was the home side with another close call as they were awarded a corner which met a towering Chris Smalling at the back post who sent it across goal but an outstretched Morgan Schniederlin was inches away from sending the Old Trafford faithful into raptures.  The visitors were not quite able find a way through the Red Devils defences as they found themselves more on the defensive.  Shortly after the hour mark a defensive error saw Marcos Rojo push the ball into the path of Mata inside the Sky Blues half but the chance was foiled by a speedy Joe Hart who was off his line with pace to stop the Spaniard in his tracks.

The Etihad Stadium side managed to find a number of chances to get on the attack with a free kick from Kevyn De Bruyne and then a very good attempt from Jesus Navas dropped short to collect a De Bruyne pass and could only manage to find David De Gea with his curled attempt.  Second half substitute Jesse Lingaard beat the offside trap and found himself in on goal before flicking his shot over Hart to only be denied by the crossbar.

The men from Eastlands had a decent effort straight away too as Aleksandar Kolarov swung in a shot towards Nicolas Ontamendi but he was skillfully held off by the United skipper as the match ended goalless.  The result sees Manual Pellegrini’s men move back to the summit ahead of Arsenal on goal difference.  For Louis Van Gaal’s charges they remain in fourth spot behind West Ham.