Man City Maintains 100% Start To The Season

Second half strikes from Aleksandar Kolarov and Samir Nasri sealed victory for Manchester City in a 2-0 defeat of Everton in the English Premier League at Goodison Park on Sunday.  The visitors had a shot at goal as early as the second minute when Sergio Aguero latched on to a rebound from a David Silva effort and fired it low and hard towards goal, only to be denied by an outstretched Tim Howard.  With the possession statistics clearly in their favour the Sky Blues saw a lot of the ball and had quite a few more chances but none were converted.
Aguero and Silva were both in on the action once again when the Argentine found himself in some space in the area and struck a Jesus Navas cross firmly towards goal and his Spanish teammate  took a chance from distance but both attempts were foiled by the American shot stopper.  At the halfway stage of the opening 45 minutes the hosts seemed to have found their feet and tested Joe Hart immediately through a Ross Barkley attempt from outside the box.   However not long after that Barkley turned provider to Romelu Lukaku who beat Hart but to the home team and crowd’s dismay it was disallowed for offside.
Despite that setback the Toffees looked to up their game and showed the desire to go and get a goal.  They did finish the half well with a Lukaku free kick just kissing the crossbar to deny the Merseyside outfit the lead heading into the break.  In the second stanza Manuel Pellegrini’s men started with promise as they came close to taking the lead in the opening two minutes when Raheem Sterling put Silva through on goal and the Spanish midfielder aimed his strike at the near post but this time was denied by the post.
Three minutes later the breakthrough came when Kolarov slid one past Howard at the near post.  With a spring in their step the Citizens had another chance in a matter of minutes when Navas found himself clear on goal with just the keeper to beat, but the Spaniard chose to attempt to chip a towering Howard and had to settle for a corner.   In the closing stages of this contest Roberto Martinez’s charges had a few decent chances to draw level but none came close to a Gareth Barry header that was heading towards the far post, only to be cleared off the line at the last possible minute by a frantic Hart.
The Goodison Park outfit was being spurred on by its fans to find that elusive equaliser and there were a few opportunities but the efforts were being denied at every chance.  With under two minutes of regulation time left the task became even more difficult when Nasri lifted one over Howard into an empty goal to extend the lead.  After four minutes of added time the men from Manchester sealed a third straight victory to maintain their perfect start to this season and move back to the top of the table with a two point lead.
The Evertonians on the other hand continue on their road of mixed results and remain in seventh position on four points level with Norwich City and defending champions Chelsea.