Liverpool Shake Off City

Liverpool collected maximum points in a dramatic English Premier League encounter against Manchester City on Sunday afternoon.  The Reds won 3-2 Anfield to propel themselves closer to clinching the title for the first time since 1990.  The home side drew first blood just six minutes into the match through Raheem Sterling when he puzzled City’s defence to beat Joe Hart.

It was all things red from there on as they continued to pile pressure on the visitors.  Hart produced a magnificent save to deny Steven Gerrard who was unmarked inside the box as he headed towards goal before Martin Skrtel’s brilliant header under similar circumstances in the 26th minute kissed the net for Liverpool’s second goal of the match.  Sterling cleared the ball off the line in the 44th minute before Simon Mignolet denied Fernandinho a goal of hope seconds later to send Brendan Rodgers’s side into the change rooms with a two goal advantage.

The second stanza also kicked off with a high tempo.  The Citizens played quick one-two’s in the 57th minute setting up David Silva who seized the chance to cut the deficit to one goal.  Manuel Pellegrini’s side then drew level in the 67th minutes when Samir Nasri and Silva combined to force a defensive error that resulted in a Glen Johnson own goal.

Substitute Sergio Aguero made a great run on the left wing in the 75th to send in a low cross but Silva failed to connect with the ball.  Vincent Kompany made a schoolboy error failing to clear the ball in the 78th minute setting up Philippe Coutinho who powered a shot past Joe Hart from outside the box in spectacular fashion as Liverpool regained the lead.

Jordan Henderson received a red card for a reckless challenge on Nasri in the dying minutes of the match but a ten-man Liverpool held on for memorable victory and are now in pole position for the Premier League crown.  If Rodgers can win the four remaining games, he will become the first manager since Kenny Dalglish 24 years ago to bring the top flight trophy to Anfield.