Liverpool Off The Mark

Liverpool’s English Premier League campaign kicked off with a 2-1 victory at Anfield against Southampton on Sunday.  Three minutes after kick off the Reds headed for goal but Jordan Henderson’s right footed shot was blocked.  Daniel Sturridge looked to come forth with an early goal but missed the top left corner.

The hosts kept hammering the Saints’ defence as they kept coming forward.  Lucas Leiva’s left footed shot was saved from close range after a headed pass from Martin Skrtel.  The pressure kept piling up for the visitors as Glen Johnson’s shot went high and wide.

The 23rd minute finally saw Liverpool score a goal thanks to Raheem Sterling.  Graziano Pelle tried to pull one back for Southampton but his right footed shot went high and wide.  From a corner the home side looked to add to their score but it was not meant to be as Johnson’s shot went too high.

Javier Manquillo was later shown a yellow card for a bad foul.  James Ward-Prowse’s shot was saved as the first half came close to an end.  Morgan Schneiderlin could not add a goal for Ronald Koeman’s side as his shot was saved.  Sterling looked to double Liverpool’s tally but the first half ended with the Reds in the lead with a goal to nil.

The second half began with Koeman’s men trying to redeem themselves.  Brendan Rodgers’ men had other plans though as Sterling’s right footed shot was way too high.  Victor Wanyama’s shot missed to the right.  Finally Southampton got their footing correct as Nathaniel Clyne pulled one back making the score 1-1.

Steven Davis headed goalwards twice but did not get the desired results.  The Saints’ confidence was boosted as they were able to poke holes in the Liverpool defence.  Their attempts all went wide and were saved but Liverpool finally snapped out of their little slumber.

Sturridge was at the right place at the right time when his touch of the ball saw the hosts take the lead yet again as they looked to gain all three points.  Schneiderlin fired a shot at goal but hit the crossbar which came as a relief to Rodgers.  Full time arrived with Liverpool winning 2-1.