The South African Rugby Union (SARU) on Friday confirmed the home venues for the 2015 Castle Lager Rugby Championship. The Springboks will play New Zealand at Ellis Park, Johannesburg, on Saturday, 25 July and Argentina at Kings Park, Durban, on Saturday, 8 August. The schedule was amended as a result of the condensing of the Rugby Championship competition to three rounds because of the Rugby World Cup, which begins in mid-September.
Durban was due to host the Springboks’ home match against Australia – which was one of the matches to be removed from the schedule. It will now receive the visiting Pumas while Western Province, which was due to host that Test, will be the venue for a match against a World XV on either 22 or 29 August. The match against New Zealand was always scheduled to be held in Johannesburg.
SARU CEO Jurie Roux said that the recent practice of hosting New Zealand only at Johannesburg venues had been reviewed during the allocation process, “Member unions have made a case for hosting the draw-card of a Springbok v All Blacks match at their venue and we have heard them. In the next round of allocations from 2016 onwards that fixture will be moving around the country including to coastal unions such as DHL Western Province and the Cell C Sharks.”
Springbok Fixtures 2015:
- Saturday 18 July: Australia v South Africa – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (Rugby Championship)
- Saturday 25 July: South Africa v New Zealand – Ellis Park, Johannesburg (Rugby Championship)
- Saturday 8 August: South Africa v Argentina – Kings Park, Durban (Rugby Championship)
- Saturday 15 August: Argentina v South Africa – Venue TBC (Test)
- Saturday 22 or 29 August: South Africa v World XV – Newlands, Cape Town (Friendly)
- Saturday 19 September: South Africa v Japan – Brighton (Rugby World Cup)
- Saturday 26 September: South Africa v Samoa – Birmingham (Rugby World Cup)
- Saturday 3 October: South Africa v Scotland – Newcastle (Rugby World Cup)
- Saturday 7 October: South Africa v USA – London (Rugby World Cup)