Baroka Eliminates Arrows

Baroka FC defeated Golden Arrows 2-0 to see themselves going through to the next round of the Nedbank Cup at Chatsworth Stadium in Durban on Sunday afternoon.  Arrows were expected to go through as the favourites in this fixture and they did not disappoint at first as they pushed forward and almost grabbed the lead as early as the sixth minute when a Nduduzo Sibiya strike came off the woodwork.  Abafana Bes’thende continued to dominate the opening exchanges but Mfundhisi Chauke did well to force a parried save from Ricardo Goss with a 15th minute free-kick.

The minnows began to settle and started to look more and more dangerous as the half progressed.  The visitors were handed a superb opportunity to go ahead right on the stroke of half-time when Musa Bilankulu conceded a penalty after fouling Donald Mokondelela.  Kenoshi Motshegwa stepped up but Goss did well to keep the initial effort out, but the attacker was on hand to slot the ball into the back of the net to hand the National First Division outfit a 1-0 lead in Durban at the break.

The KwaZulu-Natal side came out looking determined to grab an early goal in the second stanza, and Thembela Sikhakhane had an effort at goal but Masuluke Oscarine did well to keep the ball out.  Clinton Larsen’s lads continued to look good, and Sikhakhane and Deon Hotto had a couple of opportunities but their efforts were unsuccessful as the hosts began to look frustrated in their search for an equaliser.  Larsen’s lot were dominating play in the second stanza, but the away club was looking very solid and unperturbed as they kept their shape at the back.

Loyiso Simandla then rocked up in the 74th minute to extend the NFD side’s lead to 2-0 after some lovely play.  This seemed to create even more frustration for the Arrows players as they continued their search for a goal.  The goal would not come and the Ga-Mphahlele side held on for the 2-0 victory, sealing progression to the quarter-finals of the Nedbank Cup.