Australia Just Too Good For Argentina

Australia’s 32-25 win over Argentina at the Cbus Stadium on the Gold Coast in Queensland on Saturday was enough to secure four valuable Rugby Championship log points.  The Wallabies got off to a flying start as Michael Hooper scored a try in the second minute but Bernard Foley failed to add the extra two points.  Los Pumas hit back in the seventh minute after poor tackles from the Australians as Manuel Montero ran 50 metres to over and after Nicolas Sanchez added the extra two it was 7-5 to the Argentines.

In the 15th minute Foley added three points to put the hosts back in front at 8-7.  There were lots of handling errors throughout the match but in the 38th and 40th minutes Foley added further three pointers as the home side went to half-time 14-7 up.  In the second half Ewen McKenzie’s men continued where they left off as Hooper went over for his second try and after the Foley conversion it looked like Australia were out of sight at 21-7 in the 44th minute.

Matters worsened for the South Americans when Sanchez missed a penalty in the 47th minute.  However Daniel Hourcade’s side would win back those points just two minutes later when Sanchez narrowed the gap to 21-10.  In the 54th minute Foley slotted another three points for McKenzie’s men to restore the 14 point lead.  

Hourcade’s men hit back by winning a penalty from a scrum penalty and Sanchez added the three points to make it 24-13.  Nick Phipps went through the space and the delivered a well timed pass to Peter Botham to scored his first try of the match but Foley missed a conversion in the 60th minute and it was all but over at 29-13.  However Argentina came back again with a Marcelo Bosch try in the 63rd minute and after Sanchez added the extra two points it was 29-20 and suddenly it looked there could well still be a match.

In the 70th minute Los Pumas scored an amazing try through Joaquin Tuculet but Sanchez failed to the extra two but at 29-25 it was anybody’s rugby match.  In the 72nd minute the Argentines were penalised for not releasing and Foley punished them by adding three vital points and 32-25 was how it would finish despite desperate Puma pressure towards the end.